Brompton Oratory was built in 1882. The Renaissance style buildings comprise a large Italian church, designed by Herbert Gribble, the house of the Oratorians, and St Wilfred's Hall. Cardinal Newman's monument, detailed in the Italian Style, stands a little west of the Oratory.
Inside, the church is spacious and richly appointed. The general design follows that of the Gesu Church in Rome with a nave and side chapels instead of aisles. Mazzuoli's gigantic 17th century marble statues of the Apostles were originally in Sienna Cathedral. One of the altars came from the Dominican Church in Brescia, another from St Servatius at Maastricht, and yet another from the original London Oratory. The High Altar has paintings of the life of St Philip Neri.
The church has a magnificent organ containing nearly 4000 pipes and the third widest nave in Britain after Westminster Abbey and York Minster.
Open every day from 6.30am until 8pm.
+44 (0)20 7808 0900
Nearest Tube / Rail Station
14, 74, C1