Clarence House

An imposing and attractive Grade I listed building, Clarence House adjoins St James's Palace and is the official residence of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.

The original building was designed by John Nash and built between 1825 and 1828 for William, Duke of Clarence, who was later crowned King William IV. He stayed at Clarence House until his death in 1837. The house has four storeys and is faced in pale stucco. It has undergone extensive remodelling and reconstruction over the years, most notably after the Second World War, and relatively little remains of Nash's original structure.

Clarence House is a working residence and provides office accommodation for official staff who support the royals in undertaking their public and charitable duties. It is open to the public between August and October each year when visitors are given a guided tour of the five rooms and adjoining spaces on the ground floor.

Members of the public are able to see items from the Royal Collection and from the collection of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother who lived there from 1953 until her death in 2002. The decoration of the rooms retains the ambience created by The Queen Mother, and much of her personal collection of works of art and furniture are on display in their former positions.

Opening Hours
Clarence House is usually open to the public between August and October each year. All tickets are timed and must be pre-booked.

Clarence House
Stable Yard Gate
Little St James's Street
St James's

Location Map

+44 (0)20 7766 7303

Nearest Tube / Rail Station
Green Park

Bus Routes
3, 6, 9, 12, 13, 15, 23, 88, 94, 139, 159, 453

Clarence House is fully accessible and manual wheelchairs are available to borrow free of charge for the duration of a visit.

The ticket desk and shop counters are equipped with induction loops and tour guides can wear portable induction loops on request.

Assistance dogs are welcome and water is available on request.