Marble Arch was designed by John Nash in 1828. Built of white Carrara marble, the design was taken from the triumphal arch of Constantine in Rome. It was erected to form a grand gateway to Buckingham Palace. When Queen Victoria and Prince Albert decided to enlarge the palace in 1851, room was made for the extension by removing the vast arch, which then became an entrance to Hyde Park.
Only senior members of the royal family and the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery are permitted to pass under this structure.
Oxford Street & Park Lane
+44 (0)20 7935 6861
Nearest Tube / Rail Station