Built at the very heart of the city, Trafalgar Square stands at the junction of the Strand, the Mall, Whitehall and Charing Cross Road.
Originally designed and laid out by John Nash in the 1820's to commemorate Nelson's victory at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, it was redesigned by Sir Charles Barry between 1829 and 1841.
Dominating the square on a 185 foot high column is the 17 foot statue of Nelson by E. H. Baily which was erected between 1839 and 1842. On the sides of the pedestal are four bronze bas-relief sculptures depicting battles in the war against Napoleon.
At the base of the column are four beautiful bronze lions designed by Sir Edwin Landseer which were cast by Marochetti and finally installed on their plinths in January 1867.
Trafalgar Square also contains two of the few monumental fountains in London. The square's original fountains, designed by Barry and completed in 1845, were later dismantled and sent to the Canadian capital of Ottawa, where they face the national parliament building. The fountains in the square today were designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens as memorials to Admirals David Beatty and John Jellicoe, heroes of the Battle of Jutland in the First World War.
As well as being home to thousands of pigeons, Trafalgar Square is a popular gathering place and is the focal point for both Christmas and New Year celebrations.
Nearest Tube / Rail Station
3, 6, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 23, 24, 29, 53, 77A, 88, 91, 139, 159, 176