The palace of the Bishops of Winchester for over 500 years, Winchester House was set in 70 acres of riverside parkland. The original structure was built for William Giffard in 1109 and the last occupant was Bishop Lancelot Andrewes (1555-1626). For a time in the seventeenth century, Winchester House acted as a prison but was sold off for tenement housing and gradually deteriorated. The 14th century building that now stands on the site was destroyed by fire in 1814.
Nearest Tube / Rail Station